It’s that time of year again when your air conditioner may need some TLC. The poplar fuzz has been flying and dust is in the air! First of all if it’s been a few years since your last check up book an HVAC tech out to do a whole once over to make sure it is running at its best. If you serviced last year and things looked good but your find the unit is very dirty; here are some steps to do a light clean yourself.
- Ensure the unit hasn’t run for about 2 hours
- Turn your thermostat off
- Turn the disconnect for the AC unit off (should be with in reach)
- Remove any large pieces of debris by hand
- Do not use a brush as this may damage the fins
- Use your garden hose and a light spray
- Evenly spray from top to bottom slowly
- Allow to dry then turn back on first the disconnect switch then the thermostat.
If this doesn’t get the debris off then it’s time to call a tech out to do a cleaning for you. The fins on the unit are very delicate and if they are bent it can effect how it works. So be very careful not to get to close to them.
If you are unsure of the units status, or not comfortable checking book a tech to come out. Or book a Home Maintenance Inspection with Eh2Z Home Inspections and I will be happy to let you know how to proceed!